View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #83 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
No offense, but this guy sounds like a tool. 95 is near me and I've also driven on it in maryland, and if there isn't heavy traffic, driving 50 seems to me like asking to get hit. Also, completely disregarding what the police say about safety in order to get a few MPG is not the smartest thing, nor does it make sensible ecodrivers like us look good when he flaunts the law all over the news.

As I always say, safety first, courtesy second, fuel economy third.
I have lived in Kentucky for about 12 years, and I have covered this entire state. Not once have I EVER seen a "MINIMUM SPEED" sign posted anywhere- that happens to be a pet peeve of mine because many wrecks are caused by the difference in speeds of drivers, that's just a fact few will dispute.

This is my very first time reading the OP's words. I must admit while I am still green at this stuff, I too think about the dangers of the 70MPH interstate near me and I watch my mirror, and just as important, I use my expensive radar detector to let me know if I am being singled out for my speed- it is even more useful after dark when we can not see well enough to know if any car may be the police. I try to not go slower than ten under, but if I see a person coming up on my bumper, or ridding my bumper, it's safety first! Also I have already had many cases of driving in EOC right by the police, I have been followed by the police many times, and not once have they pulled me over for going too slow. My radar detector is not obvious in the way I have it's remote display hidden, but I do have a bright GPS I often leave on. I think when they see the GPS some of the police may figure I am just a little lost and seeking the road or driveway to turn on- but that's purely speculation on my part.

I will say this, it helps to have a radar detector and have it mounted so the police can not see the lights if they choose to follow you. That way, even after dark, you most likely will know their is a cop following you, perhaps for moving too slow, and you will know enough to bring your car up to the posted speed limit. So far I have had no problem other than being followed for a mile or so, and as soon as I pick up my speed they no longer seem worried about me.

An interstate is just not a safe place for hypermilling, especially if it's a 70MPH zone. I now try to avoid the interstate as much as I can, and when I must use it I keep one eye on my bumper and always stay in the right lane. I also never go lower than ten under, and I do not go this slow for more than a few seconds before I pick the speed back up. I do not think there is any way of really saving gasoline in a 70MPH zone.

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 10-10-2009 at 07:34 PM..