View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
That's very helpful, Frank.

You could easily double your fuel economy by trading it in on something like a Subaru Outback or some other tall 4x4 wagon.

You could then double your fuel economy again by trading that in on a featherweight Honda with snow tires, but with some loss in wintertime performance. Performance you might not need.

However, if you insist on daily-driving a behemoth, you can improve your MPG from "abominable" to merely "awful".

Start with instrumentation, like the MPGuino. It'll give you immediate feedback on what you're doing wrong and right.

Then I'd work on the cooling system. Switch out the inefficient clutch-driven fan for electric, then block the grille as much as you can without the fan coming on. Definately get an engine block heater. It takes a huge amount of gas to warm up your absurdly large engine. Combine that with a hot air intake, and your ECU will think it's summer, which will improve your fuel economy.

If you want to take it to the obsessive level, consider this: I intend to improve the fuel economy of my Honda Insight by removing weight. When I find an opportunity to remove 1lb, I'm thrilled, and I take it. I've removed decorative panels that aren't often seen, and the glove box, whose door is heavy with sound-deadening material. I keep my washer fluid tank half full, thus saving 3lbs. Imagine what I could do to the interior of a full-size SUV. Gut it. You don't need more than one speaker, or any carpet rear of the front row of seats, etc. You may also find that your wing mirrors can be relocated to the interior of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
That's one of those vehicles, that you might as well not worry about mileage.
I disagree. When I drive a (rented or borrowed) truck, I'm *very* worried about mileage.