View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extragoode View Post
You make this sound a lot more hard core than Joshua did. I'll still look into it and definitely ALWAYS test out any mods at low speed in an empty parking lot before trying them out in traffic. Would lock/unlock frequency thing still hold true if shift into neutral to coast further?
Here's the fuzzy part:

It depends on your transmission.

According to what I've seen/read, it's probably only going to work in one gate of the selector, usually D or OD, unless the transmission was designed to lock in other gears as well. (This doesn't mean you can't make it lock in other gears, it just means that the transmission won't allow fluid to lock the TCC unless you're in a specific range of the selector.)

That being the case, shifting into Neutral will cut fluid flow, and you'll have a solenoid holding open a valve that isn't getting any fluid to it anyway.

If it's a fully electronic transmission, it's a bit different, since it was probably a design feature to allow for TCC lockup in any gear, since it's always in D/OD, with a preference allowed for a specific gear when you manually shift to it. (As I understand it, I could be perfectly wrong, though.)

In that case, you'll be able to leave it locked and still downshift manually for engine braking, but I don't know about using neutral, since Neutral is a bypass valve in the transmission that still allows fluid to be pumped without engaging any drive gear.

However, you won't use neutral as much as you normally let off the gas, so even if it gets cycled a little more often from you using neutral, I'm sure it's still well within the threshold of MCBF (Mean Cycles Before Failure, an average of the number of cycles that the solenoid can perform based on a sample group of units.)