View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 AM   #82 (permalink)
JoeBob
EcoModding Lurker

Former Barbershop Sign - '91 Geo Metro Funky old car edition
Last 3: 42.15 mpg (US)

Oklahoma Rust Bucket - '83 Cadillac Eldorado Stuck in gridlock on the 405 suspension
One thing I will say about that car was that it was a trooper. My friend changed its oil once, at about 30k, because he felt guilty about letting it go. He dang near totaled the car shortly after getting it (new), it was repaired, and had very little maintenance. After owning it for about five years, he sold it to another friend of mine who was one of those people who could just walk near a car and kill it. He had a '49 Ford and a '65 Merc. Comet which both lasted him just a few weeks before they just up and died. I guess it ran in the family...his father apparently had owned a fleet's worth of '56 DeSotos, he'd drive one 'till it died (took maybe a few months), then he'd get another. Anyway, this Pinto lasted my second friend over a year before it gave up the ghost. I remember borrowing it after he owned it, and having to add three quarts of oil...it was off the stick. Fords are pretty tough cars (can't explain the early demise of the '49 and '65, tho).