View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
It all comes down to filtration and flow. This study proved that K&N flows better. Yes, by a huge 2 inches of water at 350 CFM. That sure is good enough for a 10% in fuel economy. It also does not filter very well.
NO air filter at all has even better flow and even worse filtering (and costs less than K&N), but will it increase FE by as much as 10%? Maybe if you add to it LRR tires and an alternator kill switch, then maybe so. That reminds me of an advert spoof in MAD magazine:
Play-C-Bow health pills - When taken with a glass of water they help hydrate your body. They help increase muscle mass when taken before or after intense weight lifting training. Etc.

The best way to increase flow through a filter, without increasing the amoung of dirt that makes it through, is to increase the filter's area. Just adding a second OEM filter and intakes, parallel to the original, would give better flow (and cost about the same) than most super aftermarket stuff. But how much will it help? I thought about doing just this, but after talking to a few car mechanics it turned out that I'd spend time and/or money on something that wouldn't make a noticeable difference, especially at the rpm range I stay in.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread