View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

I really dont want okay comment....But your method is not correct. A only slightly opened throttle does not allow for upper speed jet testing, you need to go faster!

If your bike power and overall rideability improve with a kids sock, you are too lean. If cold running requires more choke than before, you are too lean. High speed lean is the damage problem, so your testing has to be done at high speed.

Sometimes rather than too lean or too rich, it comes down to too much air for the matching restrictive exhaust....

Socks are a good diagnostic tool. Really! Putting them on and taking them off is easier than pulling plugs, and not only gives you feedback re the state of the mixture vrs ambient and engine temperatures, ( as a spark plug 'chop' does)but also allows you to fine tune your CORRECT intake restriction... for that season/time of day....

I often leave them on as they fine tune an air/fuel mixture just perfect. In cold weather I use a thicker sock! Initially have socks with you when you ride, and change them around until you find the bike is at its best. Take a screwdriver and adjust slow speed mixture and idle. Eventually this will be the correct mixture that your bike runs best at. Usually takes around 15min on a hot motor, pulling over and increasing or removing restrictive fabric from the air intake.

If the bike never improved with the thinnest most stretched out sock, it is too rich. But with your present changes I doubt it. Pods with their higher flow will lean an engine, requiring much larger jetting or more fuel. Hardly an economy move.

Last edited by blueflame; 10-12-2009 at 06:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to blueflame For This Useful Post:
dcb (10-12-2009)