View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #184 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
Funny you should mention it... i happen to enjoy skiing a lot! I'm anxiously awaiting for snow to come so i can put my new $1400 skis (that i got for 400$) to good use.

So on to the topic about the cold. The most important thing is to cover every part of skin and leave nothing exposed. Depending on how cold it is, that could also include wearing a ski mask underneath your helmet. I always wear all my gear all the time anyway, but ill usually wear a fleece long sleeve shirt under my riding jacket, and fleece pants underneath my riding pants when its cold. My new windshield helps keep a lot of the air off my body.

My experience last winter on the bike showed that the hands are the crucial point. I used to always wear my riding gloves, but they are meant for the summer and have air flow holes and slits in them. So i started wearing my gore-tex ski gloves and they work GREAT! My hands stay nice and warm even cruising at 55mph in 40*F weather. They have decent extensions that go about half way up my forearm over my riding jacket, so air stays out of the inside of my jacket arms. There is also a pouch on the top of the hand for hot packs, in case it gets really cold!
Have you thought about removable hand spats in addition to the windshield? They might help keep your hands warmer in the colder months.

I'm going to look into a windshield of some sort and a pair of hand spats to keep the air off me as much as possible, although none of it is necessary for this winter, since I won't be able to get it on the road legally until next season.