View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

There is a piece over on TurboBricks (Turbo Volvo web site) on intake restriction. Full article

Restrictions to airflow cost you power and efficiency. When air is on its way into the engine of a Volvo 700 series, there are a number of items that cause restriction, thereby reducing airflow. Obviously, the first efforts for the tuner should be directed to the highest restrictions, but as we'll see below, many people just guess where the restrictions lie and throw money towards fixing what are in fact the smallest restrictions (the excellent OEM paper filter, or the OEM throttle body).

BOTTOM LINE:
Many may not care how this testing was conducted, so let's cut to the chase. Here, following the natural flowpath that air takes to get to the intake manifold, are the pressure losses on my 1987 B230FT 740 at 5500 rpm and 10 psi of boost:

*Airbox snorkel (ie, from the "outside" to the "dirty" side of your filter) 5.0 inches of water

*Paper air filter (just the loss across the filter element) 1.0 inches of water

*Air filter lid & AMM elbow (ie, from the "dirty side of the filter to the AMM) 9.0 inches of water

*AMM (loss across the Air Mass Meter) 5.5 inches of water

*Pipes to compressor, and from compressor to intercooler 0.0 inches of water

*Intercooler 38.0 inches of water

*Pipe from intercooler to throttle body, including 90 degree bend 0.0 inches of water

*Throttle body 0.5 inches of water

WHAT NOT TO DO:
Where is the LAST place I'd recommend you spend your money? Replacing the piping, the paper air filter or the throttle body. And remember, your replacement filter or TB would not have 0.0 inches of water pressure across them, so you're looking at one of the most expensive bang-for-the-buck mods that I can see.
The Following User Says Thank You to ALS For This Useful Post:
Christ (10-12-2009)