View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
newhavenpatriot
Ecodriver

Auto. 2007 Yaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
newhavenpatriot -

Ok, you're wayyyyyy ahead of the game, . An interesting test of your observation would be to have a set of equally spaced right-lane-only speed-limit-only cars along a route. By what you write, this might keep the passing cars from ever getting "too fast" to cause a traffic jam.

CarloSW2
That's an awesome idea that I've actually thought about in the past, and I firmly believe it would work. I'd love to see the government/police/whoever hire "pace cars" to purposely get highway speeds down to the speed limit consistently along a very long stretch of road. This would create a ton of jobs for people, as well as improve safety and congestion on state highways. It would be bad for the environment because gas would be wasted from all those cars, but hey, I never said I cared about the environment. It might help the environment, though, because people might stay at a constant efficient speed, thereby reducing emissions from constantly braking and accelerating. I dunno...

Maybe we should have an ecomodder get-together to test this speed-limit-only theory...

"Know your rights..... all three of 'em!"