View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Mech, I didn't know you were driving an Insight. Gen I or II? You should make a Garage entry for it.

Anyway, I've studied BSFC plots, and yes, you get more power out of each drop of fuel at 80% throttle. Pulse and glide should outperform DWL. However, if you apply heavy throttle on the way up the hill, and leave it in the same gear on the downhill, you'd probably be better off DWL. i.e. DWL works by eliminating the period of being in the wrong gear on the downhill.

My normal method of acceleration is to keep the revs as low as possible, and the throttle around 80% open. This actually results in rather slow acceleration in the Subaru, and if I suddenly decide I want to accelerate quickly, I have to downshift. I run out of the appropriate gearing at 50mph, and my accelerating from 50-74mph is actually brisk.

The Insight's BSFC's minimum is actually 70% throttle, 4000RPM. I'll test the 1-2-5 shift pattern that some Insight enthusiasts use. For a fuel economy run, I might attempt a 1-2-EOC-2-EOC shift pattern.