View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #57 (permalink)
dwtaylorpdx
EcoModding Apprentice

I've used K&N filters for a long time, mostly so I could re-use them.

But on measuring the flow,,, Yes I did. On my 1600 CC Bug motor switching to a top-hat K&N from the factory abomination, It made a 1" difference in vacume pressure.

The car also got about a half a mile to the gallon better on the highway. It was a BAJA bug so used in really nasty dusty conditions. I also had a rally computer in it and was able to really track my mileage.

As far as effective filtering, the original study from a mining company that used the Caterpillar engine labs for evaluating a K&N in place of the factory filter for a large mining operation showed the K&N filter had equal filtering efficiency except with certain silica rich soils, but the material that made it through was small enough to basically pass through the engine, on extended runs they started finding more of the silica in the oil which is the root of all the K&N bashing. testers determined the particles WOULD harm the turbochargers.

Back when Mt St Helens Erupted I lived 10 miles from the mountain, saw it blow.
The ONLY thing that worked for keeping ash out of our trucks was a pair of womens nylons wrapped around the air cleaner element, and ourt mileage sucked with it in there...

Dave