View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Wife won't let me get cars at the $200-300 mark and fix them...she doesn't want "unfinished projects" to 'lay around.'

You folks are right, though, too. I'm not having an easy time with it, but maybe you folks can help me shove the pill down my throat (sideways if need be), it's tough to swallow. I/we don't NEED a different car. I don't say new, because whatever is purchased would be used. We NEED a working car, capable of 2 adults + 2 (sometimes 3) car seats/kids.

I'd like to do it myself, but it seems a little daunting to do it LIVE on the only tranny I have.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll admit I'm kind of scared, but I'm also willing to do it scared. Too bad that I can't get one of the DeVille trannys with the 2.73 for low, LOW cruising. Lowest available is 2.89 for my model/year.
Got a junkyard or a car club locally? Maybe you can get someone to check out the gear sets for you and see if they'll fit in a case like yours.

If it were me, I'd weigh the options of finding the correct transmission used and putting it in, or seeing if I could just put one together and tune the PCM afterward. The tuning software is often free, and an OBD-II/Serial cable isn't usually too expensive either. This also gives you the option of later on, tuning for more power or more economy, checking your CEL's without a code scanner, and resetting your ECU for "quick learn", etc.

You could get a "junk" tranny with a good case and rebuild it for a couple hundred bucks, and a learning experience. You don't need any special tools, usually, just a working knowledge of hand tools and a shop manual.