View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Well, the thought was that it would be for around town only, so controller isn't really necessary, I'd probably use a contactor, which I can explain below. At the same time, I'm not worried about going more than 30 MPH, and it only takes ~5 HP (according to Darin's calculator thingy) to move 35 ish, IIRC.

Back to the contactor -
Instead of using a controller, because it's a low-power, low speed application, and because I don't really care about smooth acceleration, I just figured I could get away with a contactor.

I thought about whether or not I could just run it on a 120VDC battery pack, as well, but couldn't find any info on it. Anyone?

If I were to try this, and the contactor idea doesn't pan out, I'd probably be more likely to find a controller and go with dual motors on a single speed control, making it capable of doing the 10 mile trip to my father's house, as well.

Ryland - If I went with the dune-buggy thing, they don't even weigh in at 1400 lbs, although it would after the battery pack. I think the curb weight less engine and transmission and related accessories is still under 300 lbs, actually. They use ATV tires, but can be exchanged for highway capable trailer tires.