View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I drove 6.2's all my life until recently.

Anyway with 2.73 gears and a crappy 700r4 I was topping 26mph driving around 60-70mph in an 89 diesel sub Sadly that transmission cannot handle those gears and that truck is just sitting out at the repo depot waiting for me to find a blasted diesel bell housing and NV3500 5sp.

My fathers 350 93 Suburban has gotten over 24mpg with a generator off the back and loaded to the ceiling with crafts. Sadly that motor had a mishap at 180k, and despite being fixed gets crap MPG now but it was good for years typically in the 18-22mpg area.

And my old favorite 82 diesel sub w/ a 3sp auto always delivered 20mpg even in the winter in town or highway. Sadly that one rusted to pieces to the point the doors wouldn't work anymore.

The best place to get info on what you want is to visit the diesel place forums and the diesel page forums, both have a wealth of info on just exactly what you want to accomplish.

A word of warning though, you better be able to install everything yourself since no one is willing to install a manual into an auto these days and finding the blasted diesel bell housing up here in Wisconsin seems to be impossible for some reason.

Good Luck
Ryan