View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post

Since I'll never have anyone on the back of the bike, I can use their leg area for bags. Since that constitutes a seat that is wasted space, I can put a backrest there, instead. Behind the backrest, is the perfect place for a small trunk.

See where this is going?

I don't think I'm going to bother keeping the bike completely OEM, rather going the utilitarian route on it. It's nice to have pretty things, but in classic me-ism, Functional is just as pretty as Pretty is. Besides, a mobility device is a tool, right? When's the last time you had your favorite power drill chromed? Exactly.

So, I'm thinking about making sort of a "dresser kit" for the bike... Of course, this will probably require that I use a slightly larger engine, or upgrade the one that's already on it, in the event that I ever want to get on the highway and go faster than 50-55 MPH. That's way in the future, though.

So, as soon as I figure out whether I'm keeping the quad or not, and finish up a couple deals with other people, the bike is coming over, and I get to spend some time working on it. Of course, I want the bags to be DIY as much as possible.

I think I smell a build thread for this one, even though it's going to be a rare- and far-between series.
I got the CB350F *because* it had an uncool out-of-fashion sissy bar :

(Back-then-brand-new 1990 CRX to the left)

Aesthetically I liked that the sissy bar angle was close to the angle of the front fork.

The accidental-practical part was that I could bungie-strap my backpack or other crap to the sissy bar as needed. You could start with a sissy bar, and use that as a "mount" for different dresser kits that solve different problems. People will think you are a Transformer if the rear of the bike keeps changing.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society