View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #264 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
My speed was a constant 70 miles per hour set on cruise control.

I think Darin, as we all saw from the great post you put up of Bill Pien in the Ford wind tunnel in Allen Park, Michigan, with the 2009 F-150, alot of the credit for the high number I got goes to Ford.

I do hope Ford would someday take a strong look at aerodynamic truck bed covers. A 20% increase in fuel efficiency would definitely help them reach future CAFE standards.

Bondo
If Ford were to give in to something like this, it would be an aftermarket accessory. Unfortunately, I'm sure many will not see much of a point to adding a bed cover as a standard option, when they're probably just going to remove it for "easy access to the bed".

Right after my Father got his S10, he sold the cap that was on it. He got tired of having to remove it all the time for even small loads that normally, he could have just thrown into the bed against the cab. He's also hardcore about keeping weight in front of the axle, to help distribute it.

If I were going to do something like this on a truck I drove/used daily, I'd probably want to make accessible side covers for this reason, as well.