View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
strider3700
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '97 Ford F-350 XL
90 day: 12.49 mpg (US)
Well this is my daily driver but since I'm a stay at home dad my daily driving doesn't add up to 400 miles a month. We use my wife's car for pretty much everything when she's home and it gets far far better mileage. It however isn't going to pull a travel trailer or haul a cord of firewood or a bed full of manure home.

So yes it's an environment destroying truck. At least I use it to do things that require a truck.

Scangauge ii should arrive next wednesday if the post office tracking is to be believed. I started reading the manual. My only real concern is getting it calibrated. I'll have to do a bunch of small fill ups for awhile so that it doesn't take me 6 months to get it dialed in. I'm currently filling up every month and a half or so.

an engine swap is unlikely any time soon. Diesel engines up here cost a lot even when very used. There was a 7.4 with 350,000 km on it listed for $2000 about a month ago. It was pulled from the truck so you couldn't even hear it running. Also diesel is just a bit cheaper then gas, roughly 4% right now. So I seriously doubt I'd ever recoup the cost with the swap. The 5spd with overdrive swap could be more promising dollar wise. I'm not too sure how difficult the actual swap would be though although I've pulled an engine and successfully put it back before so it's probably within my skill range.