View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
daqcivic
EcoModding Lurker

Daq Civic - '92 Honda Civic DX sedan
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)

The Hardbody - '91 Nissan D21 (pickup)

The Hardbody - '91 Nissan D21 (pickup)
Seriously impressed, especially the basjoos-style nose cone.

I've got a 92 DX sedan, so you're a great comparison. What's your commute like? I'm wondering not just about %city/hwy, but also topography and congestion, since these are the killers for me. My commute is 10mi each way, about 50city/50hwy, very heavy and unpredictable 2-lane city traffic, lots of lights, and a few considerable hills--plus a 220lb passenger, which makes a difference on such a light car. I've been getting high 40s on mostly commuting miles during the warmer weather, using P&G, EOC, DWL, all the usual techniques, but I can't crack 50 except on long hwy trips.

I have a few aero suggestions for you, which I could better describe if I take some updated pics: (1) increase the effectiveness of the rad intake by ducting the opening all the way to the face of the rad so you can make the intake smaller (not so big a deal in winter); (2) modify your tire deflectors by placing them further inward and pigeon-toeing them to face airflow as it bows out approaching the front underbody (as you have them they're deflecting air further out from the sides of the car than necessary); (3) add to the undertray between the axles, from the frame rails on either side of the exhaust tunnel to the rocker panel covers; (4) add a large rear undertray piece from the fuel tank to the bumper cover, extending it past the bumper several inches (the angle is nearly perfect for minimizing wake area while maintaining attached flow). This last mod has helped my hwy coasting distances more than any other.

One last question: do you P&G on the hwy, and if so, what's your technique?