View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #120 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned, but are you concerned about damaging the TCC? It's not as strong as the clutch found in a manual transmission and unlocks under heavier loads simply because it wasn't designed to support them. I might try this mod for my car were it not for concern about hurting the TCC.

Also, what happens if the PCM commands a shift and the TCC is locked?
It's experimental. There is no guarantee that the TCC isn't going to get destroyed, but there was never a guarantee that gasoline engines wouldn't explode when being started, so many years ago. It's all about seeing what happens.

The way that most of us drive, I don't see any issue with it.

I was also under the impression that the TCC only unlocks under load to increase engine RPMs, effectively providing more power to the transmission. I'm fairly certain the TCC can hold at fairly close to max output, but it's not like we're accelerating at WOT all the time.

If it starts to slip, it would be an instant thing, you'd know it right now.

When the PCM says to shift, it still shifts. This, as I understand it, is why orange4boy is still manually shifting for the most part, because the PCM/TCM is commanding shifts too early, and ending up with RPMs too low as a result of the lockup.

At low throttle angles, again, the shift "shock" isn't enough (so far) to slip the TCC, that I've heard/seen.