View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I think that's the nature of the discussed fuel economy tip.

If read one way, yes, that could be seen. It might also lead one to think that having a shipper handle the goods is the better decision. In fact it may always be, but it is considerably more expensive, even prohibitive.

As to moving an appliance across town, yes, it fit the hatchback; by the above, would one want to move across state thusly? Because one can, does that mean one should?

The handling/safety question is irrelevant IMHO,

Safety is never irrelevant. One has -- always -- but a single chance to avoid disaster. Planning otherwise, as in, "I'm exempt from physical laws", or, "I've never had a problem taking shortcuts in hitch rigging, are ways of inviting $$$ problems as well as legal liability.

In trailer towing the tail wags the dog. A lightweight trailer, improperly loaded and/or hitched, can flip even a heavy tow vehicle. Polar-moment-of-inertia.

Whether a trailer is used regularly or irregularly one still can make the journey more safely as well as at a reduced cost by attending to details. Ecomod as a concept is one that works here.

I like trailers very much, but only because I rarely need to use them. It allows my vehicle to stay relatively tiny (and efficient) most of the time without the added expense/maintenance of a large vehicle that would be underutilized.

Bingo! But what of when the trip is cross-country, of a weeks duration, and thousands of pounding miles on goods, tow vehicle and driver? Attending to basics -- and to fine-tuning -- pays upfront, and pays long-term.