View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I wouldn't presume to change mine for yours. I wasn't trying for -- but appear to have achieved -- oneupsmanship per our respective trucks. Sorry for leaving a different impression as I re-read that post. (I chose my truck based on highest economy configuration, bought used, and know how to drive after being a big truck driver. There are others who can get the same numbers, and some I hope to meet who can get better). The vehicle is the most important step. I'm always looking to place it in context. It won't last forever, and needs do change.

Published weights ARE NOT accurate, they are shipping values assigned to a class of vehicles where the individual units may vary widely according to options purchased and owner-installed equipment.

For a rule-of-thumb per ship weight, over the decades I have learned that adding 450# to account for options, driver and full fuel works whether one is speaking of small sedan or 1/2T pickup truck. Does that mean that the Ridgeline weighed 4,800-lbs dring testing; or is that a guesstimate? My 2001 Dodge 1/2T, heavily optioned, only weighed 5,200-lbs. I think I would in that case go with a truck with a 6' bed and slow-turning V8. It's gonna outlast the other with such a weight penalty (on the Honda). 5-600 hundred pounds on a gasoline truck/trucklet makes a real difference long-term.

Representative work load just meant: tools, supplies, and the equipment for a, what, residential install. A typical workday load. How much does the Ridgeline weigh on a normal day? Again, numbers derived from a scale.

Tongue weight can be derived at the scale, or, on a Google search there is a method using a bathroom scale and some props. Even with the trailer, published weight and actual scale weight make a difference.

It is rarely noted that even experienced drivers can accurately guess weights overall or per axle.

If the opportunity comes about to scale the rig in a couple of configurations I know I won't be the only one interested in the numbers. I'll certainly link-back for others I know as we all think well of the Ridgeline. The current impression is that it is "half of a truck" and there are those for whom that is ideal, thus the interest.

THanks for the response to my questions.