View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #132 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

The contactor came in. So I wired it all up today!!!! I was sooooo nervous!! I had thick rubber gloves on the whole time!. I connected all the small stuff: 12v(switched) to contactor, 12v (switched) to Curtis controller input one. Potbox (stock Geo TPS, didn't use toilet one) to input 2 and 3. Connected a lightbulb as pre-charge resistor (I have the one Curtis recommends on order), connected a "temporary" safety switch (battery disconnect), wired up the batteries. Checked and double checked. Then went back and checked again with Curtis diagram in my hands. Then sat down and had sauerkraut, sausage, and twisty noodles leftover from last night. I told the girls (8 and 5) how it's SUPPOSED to happen: I will flip the safety switch and the light bulb will turn on. Then, I wait until the light bulb goes out meaning the pre-charge is over. Then I turn the key and the contactor will close and the controller will turn on. Then I push on the accelerator and the motor will spin!
I quickly ate lunch and went out to the car! Flipped the switch: hoorah! the light bulb shines...and slowly fades to nothing in a few seconds. Then, I turn the key...fingers crossed......Hourrah! the contactor closes!!!! My heart is POUNDING!!!! So then I sllloowwwly open the throttle andddddd.....nothing. Nada. Diddly squat. Zip. Zero. Zilch. That was about 2 and half hours ago. Tried the toilet TPS, tried running 60v, tried running 48v. No go. In an ironic twist of fate, I just won an eBay auction (5 minutes ago)for "Build Your Own Electric Vehicle" by Bob Brant.....