View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
armygreywolf
Automotive Xtremist

RustyButTrusty - '01 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)

DodgeZilla - '00 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Why? Why not? Really it's the only sensible GM product out right now, everything else they have is a poor attempt at "green". This is probably the only turbocharged 2+ liter engine to get this kind of mileage. I am not particular about being eco friendly, I was more being mindful of gas prices and my budget for distance driving.

The turbocharged ecotec is a sure bet in the market right now, the LNF motor won design awards, it has been in the racing scene for 3 years now, 4 if you count the Saturn Sky Prototype. No matter how you look at it, on paper it is the most efficient conventional internal combustion engine available right now. If you measure output versus fuel consumption it would really make you think twice about hybrids.

And Binger was right, the maps are too rich. Since they don't test emissions here, I wasn't particularly worried about high NOx levels here running lean. The fuel map is set to run lean under certain conditions, namely manifold vacuum and rpm. The temperatures are stable and low, right around 850F during normal driving. Stock was even lower at these demand levels, around 700-750F. According to every bit of research I can get my hands, anything under 1100 will not significantly shorten turbo life. I can get away with lean conditions due to direct injection and a water jacketed turbocharger. I keep a close eye on oil and water temps.

I haven't been on in a while, tommorow I'll dig out my gas receipts, I've been keeping track. I'll post everything for the past month, that is all post tuning.