View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
And another thing, there is a full grille block available for people in cold climates. There is a drawing of it in the users manual and it sure looks smart!
I looked through the online manual for the Peugeot 308 and I found a picture of that grille block:

It's actually a snow guard to keep white fluff out of the radiator+fan (that's what you get with a grille opening that size). The manual mentions that it should be taken off when the outside temperature is above +10*C, towing, or driving faster than 120 km/h. But, in the hands of a good ecodriver, I bet it could stay on for most of the year.

When looking at the specs of the car, even though the 1.6HDi engine seems to be the same as I have in my 307, the 308 gets much better FE, about 0.3-0.5 l/100km, both city and highway. This can only partially be b/c the 308 is lighter (by less than 90kg, less than 6%), so maybe it's the intercooler bypass valve and the 6-speed gearbox? I'd like to have that for a weekend, but PSA apparently decided that Poles don't know squat about ecodriving I'm so jealous...

Ollie, if you have a minute, then please write some more about your experience with the 308. Would you exchange your Yaris for a 308 if you got the chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grilleblock.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	4529  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread