View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
armygreywolf
Automotive Xtremist

RustyButTrusty - '01 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)

DodgeZilla - '00 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
who said it won't reach top speed with it on, it does destabilize because of it's flexibility, but the car has no problem reaching 162 stock with it mounted. And I believe it works like diverters found on SUVs it's designed more to direct flow in a uniform direction, the way the cobalt is designed, I believe without the wing it produces a dirty air current when air mergers between the roofline and the door. Kinda obvious the way the antenna vibrates in the vortex , probably even worse without the wing, though I wasn't paying close attention to that particular detail. GM had no problem with a recorded top speed on the 'ring at 163MPH during the test lapping. The wing isn't the issue I think it has alot to do with conditions whether or not the car will behave, it is extremely susceptible to cross winds, reduces my mileage, even when I slow down to compensate, more than it should IMHO, that's the only downfall of the car, if that engine was in a honda, I'd bet on 40mpg for sure by now. Cobalt didn't really have aerodynamics in mind, oh well though.