View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
No joy on the 12v stator for that bike. I just don't have anything that matches up... You might try a CM400 from that same era, but I doubt it will be cost effective...
If it's Eco-Motor Cycling your after, then there are some better options out there. Smaller, lighter, narrower tires. Think 90cc horizontal with a step-over pressed steel frame. Get's 90mpg with the throttle pined. There are some nice chinese engine options that can take them up to 140cc and greater HP potential than your 185. Just some thoughts...
Ok, let's focus more on upping the output of the 6V system, then. Can we work on that?

I really want to play around w/ the 185 a bit to get my small engine fingers about me before I go really moving on to anything else. I'm almost certain based on past experience with other motors that there is just ALOT of efficiency to be unlocked with this engine, and I've seen reports of 75-80MPG with careful operation, although EPA estimates it in the mid-late 60's.

I'm thinking with some gear changes, aero enhancements, and a few engine tweaks, I can probably see 90's or quite possibly 100's with it, for very little invested, and still have a decent commutah! with some old skool style to boot. The tires on it are about as thin as they come, too... they're only 3.60/16 on the back and I think 3.40/17 on the front.

While working on this bike, I'm going to focus on lightening it up (like it needs it) and tuning the motor for better low-speed grunt (it can handle 30 in 4th gear already. I can almost take off/accelerate from 2nd to 3rd with a 2-step takeoff.)

I want to be able to carry a small load with it without it feeling like I'm back on a pedal bike again, handle decently (a function of the rider, mostly), and still be smooth and efficient. I'm sure there are bikes that could do this, but not for what I paid for this one... and the resale value on a restored one just isn't high enough to warrant reselling to get something else, especially now that I have to "get a title" for it. Damn kids...