View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #204 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=cfg83;134752]TeeVee has indeed made it worse, but this is not a recent phenomenon in American culture:"

I don't really agree, but I'm using a rather different sense of the word intellectual than I think Hofstadter does. (I vaguely recall reading that piece...). If you think about the times prior to WWII, you had the practical inventor/scientist as hero: Edison, Bell, the Wright brothers and more in real life; Tom Swift and imitations, endless pulp science fiction stories, etc. Even in the years up to about the end of the '50s, you had Heinlein &c, kids building their own hot rods and so forth. These may not have been intellectual in the academic sense, but neither were they exalting dumbness :-)

Quote:
It's too simplistic to say that a rocket scientist is better suited to run the country.
But I don't think that's what I said. I said the current President, contrary to what his fans would have us believe, ain't no rocket scientist :-) Nor do think that the country needs a rocket scientist in that office, just that its current holder isn't one.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (10-20-2009)