View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #207 (permalink)
dwtaylorpdx
EcoModding Apprentice

Take a tour of the back streets of Telaviv.. youl find family shops building Uzi's with nothing but a rat lathe and a file. I'm not kidding, the kids do the fit and finish work...

My Bro in law spent a lot of time in Isreal as a Civil Engineer. He showed me pics.

Its freeking impressive.

I alsso have a aquaintenance that rode a Honda XL650 to Brazil form Portland Or.
he brolks a transmision shaft in a podunk town in central america. His riding partner towed him in to a gas station, they were asking about a ports sotre, (No way) and the
10 year old pumping gas said "NO problem we make it." They pulled the main shaft and gave the two parts to the kid. The kid and his dad evidentially stayed up all night buildig the shaft using a forge, a file and skill. His dad hammer welded the shaft back together and turned it on a hand powered lathe using a file and sand paper and hand tools to match the running areas, it was not pretty but it spun perfectly true and got the bike another 1200+ miles til they got to a town with a Honda shop.

They asked for 2 US dollars for the work. My friend gave them a roll of quarters and had to run cause they kept trying to give them change....

Craftsmanship is dead....Nobody gets it anymore.
Dave