View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #2467 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian999 View Post
Yeah, It still has the stock 6.5 hp serial-wound motor with only 3K miles on it. Since that will be the weakest link, I am looking forward to replacing it with ???. Actually, if you could suggest a motor that will use the full capabilities of your controller, we can see just how quick/fast a Citi can go.
The stock diff will probably go away at some point, so don't let that limit the choices.
Thanks,
Xtian
Citicars become relatively unstable over 50mph, my commuta I have had up to 65mph ish going downhill with no regrets. If you really do have a citicar and not a commutacar and you plan on driving freeway speeds I would recommend moving the rearend differential back so you don't pop wheelies on the freeway cement pieces. Even my comuta with its longer wheelbase will start rocking after a while on a cement freeway if I don't coarse correct into a crack every once and a while.

Stock wise comutas running 72v can typically go 45-55mph depending on motor, tires, etc.

The only motor I know of that upgrades a comuta (or citi) is made by D&D, if you call and talk to them you can find out the largest for your car.

Supposedly the motor in my comuta (from D&D) can be overvolted up to 120v from the rated 72v but you need massive cooling and I would estimate the life of the motor is decreased.

Cheers
Ryan