View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harpo
EcoMudder

Harpo's Honda - '05 Honda Civic VP
90 day: 42.64 mpg (US)
I caaan't driiive 55 ....

But I can drive slower and more efficiently.

Howdy guys. I've lurked, listened and learned for a while now. All while searching for a more efficient commuter vehicle. I drive 52miles round trip weekdays. Occasionally, I'll get a good day and ride the Road Bike, getting the training miles in for the commute. However, on most days, I was driving my 2006 RAM 1500 5.7L MDS. I really had it down to a science to get just 16.5mpg on a 80/20 Highway/city commute. Better than most that drive the same setup, but not near good enough.

A real estate transaction brought me some un-anticipated funds, so after a month or so of searching, I found a one owner 2005 Honda Civic VP (auto) w/ 32K, all maintenance records, absolutely perfect in all conditions. I know a manual would have be more of the hot ticket, but we had to cover all family needs. The truck is now isolated to being a Tow Vehicle. The previous owner’s fuel log for the last few months was about 30.2mpg for in-town only. I’m planning on 40+ with only driving pattern changes, then a few more with simple aero mods. That'll reduce my fuel costs by 60%.

-ScanGauge is on order
-Tires are at 45psi
-I did P&G in the truck, so nothing new to this ride
-I'll investigate Upper Grill Blocking first

Questions will ensue in other forums.

Keep it less than 50% TPS or ride your bike!