View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Hitched Detachable Boat Tail finished. With tests!

Its almost done, should probably finish it this weekend. So I figured I'd show you guys.

Just laying out the framework here. I've attached it to a spare hitch bar I had. Yes, its an ugly method. But its solid.

Another view, its very hard to get a proper frame built thats still light enough to be picked up but still strong enough to support itself. This is as close as I could get it to the car in order for it to still serve its purpose.

Frame done and painted. Start of the wiring.

Wiring is done! Frame is done! The lights is just a trailer lighting kit. Plugs up into the trailer harness plug in the car.

Start of the skinning of it. Tin is fun to work with.

Skinning nearly complete here. Its got that airplane look going on.

As it stands now. Everything is done except for actually cutting the front pieces to fit the front of the car, forming some sort of gasket, and putting on the front glass. It should be done this weekend.

The only real probably is attaching it. I added a handle to the back of the car to grab (yellow/black cylinder) but it still weighs probably 50 lbs. Its really awkward to attach.

Right now I'm just going to use a floor jack until I get it finished and tested.

Last edited by brucey; 11-13-2009 at 07:49 PM..