View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #245 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I was thinking that you could remove the fan shroud and put a box inside it with a duct to your intake... that way, all the air that makes it into that box gets forced down the intake piping.

If not that, you could box off like half of the radiator, pipe that section to the intake, then let the fan have the other half. Just make sure that you're not blocking the grille on the half that has the intake on it.

I guess half the radiator wouldn't be ideal, though.

And yes, a heater core setup would work wonders. The blower fan can move more air than your engine needs at low RPM/throttle angles, easily, and it doesn't really develop too much pressure in the piping before the core. Those cores can flow some serious air, especially newer ones, and they exchange heat like a mofo.

In some cases in the winter, I've seen people use only the heat in the vehicle (on full blast, with a rear window down) and a full grille block. The heater core keeps the car from overheating. I didn't believe it, but the dude turned off the blower fan, and within about a minute, he got high up in the temps... he turned the fan back on and lowered the engine speed, and within a couple mins, it was fine again.