View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gasoline Fumes
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Why such high expectations? What do you have that even comes close to rivaling that now?
I have a moped that does 30 MPH and should get around 100 MPG. And I'm working on a '94 Metro that will hopefully get 60+ MPG.

Quote:
Your speed limitation isn't really all that realistic, either, I think. How many days do you really HAVE to go 50 MPH? Could you not suffice with 35-40 MPH?
I thought 50 MPH was slow. In the rural area I live in, it would take forever to get anywhere at 35 MPH.

Quote:
Beyond that, there are many things you can do to increase the power output once you've built the project and gotten it working. Later on, you can streamline it, change gear ratios, increase output and efficiency with a small turbo, etc.
From what I understand, turbos don't work too well with single cylinder engines. I'm sure there's some extra power in the engine if I increase the governed speed and turn up the fuel, but I wouldn't expect a lot more output from it.

Quote:
Build it, then worry about the details. Very few peopele actually stick to all of their goals when building something one-off. Compromise is necessary until the thing can be considered "tangible".
I still want to build it, but it's not really a priority right now.