View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #141 (permalink)
taredog
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
45RFE transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
NP, just make sure you check twice before you do anything, I may have been wrong on the TCM ground thing.

If you go to AutoZone.com, you can get wiring diagrams for your vehicle, they might have the one you need, which will tell you if it's common ground or TCM ground.

And, it's not technically Fiat-Chrysler, yet, I guess. Or has that changed again?
You are right. How could I doubt someone with a screen name like yours?

From the shop manual:

The solenoids receive electrical power from the
Transmission Control Relay through a single wire.
The TCM energizes or operates the solenoids individually
by grounding the return wire of the solenoid as
necessary.

This is referring to the solenoids that control the hold or drive clutches for the three planetary gear sets. This is pretty interesting stuff.

I went to trade school back in the '70s to be a mek-an-ick. Then my local draft board changed my career path Figured if I had to become an indentured servant for several years, they were gonna teach me a new trade. Worked out well for me.

While in school we had to tear down and reassemble several automatics. State of the art stuff like a fordomatic, powerglide and a ford c4. There was a shiny new turbo-hydramatic 400 that we weren't allowed to touch. Think the instructor was gonna put that in his 66 belair.

Anyway, gotta re educate myself on a lot of basics like sun gears, planet gears and annulus which I think they called something else back then.

I also think when I start screwing around with this the TCM is gonna throw a code and might put the tranny in limp mode.

Again from the shop manual:

The continuity of the solenoids and circuits are
periodically tested. Each solenoid is turned on or off
depending on its current state. An inductive spike
should be detected by the TCM during this test. If no
spike is detected, the circuit is tested again to verify
the failure.

If you or anyone else have any ideas on fooling the TCM, let me know.

I have manuals on the 45RFE, 545RFE, the complete 2001 Dakota shop manual and some schematics in pdf format so if anyone could use them pm me.