View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #198 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Glad to know I could be of some help!

I bought about 200 of those terminals back when Central Tractor sold their store to Tractor Supply Company. They sold their inventory at insanely low prices, and I bought over $1000 of maintenance items that week.

Regarding the 9V batteries.. I've never had to buy another meter because the battery died. I actually collect old "dead" batteries, because they're seldom ever actually dead. When an electronics device takes more than one cell, often, one cell will die, leaving the others fine, and still well off in the charge department. Also, rechargeable batteries are often comprised of smaller individual cells, like those in cordless phones. They're just 3 AAA cells wired in series to make 3.6VDC. (Lithium and Nickel cells are usually 1.2VDC). If you collect those, test them to find the good cells, you almost never run out of batteries, unless you use portable electronics all the time. I keep the rechargeable ones to replace batteries when the dry-cell alkaline ones finally die.

Also, I love to take batteries apart. Some 9VDC batteries actually contain 6 AAAA cells. The 12V camera batteries actually contain several button cell batteries, and if it looks like a pair of AA's, it is.

I'm currently looking for enough batteries to make a pair of 6VDC cells that are 1" x 3.5" x 3.5" so I can put a pair of 6VDC cells under the seat on my TwinStar! I figured on finding a series of Ni-MH battery cells and welding tabs to them until I got a decent 6VDC pack, then making 2 packs, which I could wire in series when I get around to doing the 12VDC upgrade on the bike.