View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #274 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Added full lower grille block to the buggy today so now running full upper and full lower. There are small unblocked areas in the lower grille block on the outermost areas (to allow for a small amount of room for inverter and EBH).

Have not used EBH much since install but will be using heavily beginning in November. Temps have been in the 45-65 degree range over the course of the day so it's time to ramp up the effort to conserve mpg. Will be talking to my living community today to secure a plug in location. On the grounds there is a small greenhouse that the community allows residents to bring their plants inside during the winter months...plenty of energy in there. Don't see why the community will balk at it as the greenhouse is operational 24/7/365 and they allow residents to utilize it cost-free year round (stay tuned for possible wrestle match with the higher ups about this if they balk at the idea of supplying energy for my EBH). Hope I don't have to get into the "be green-friendly" conversation but I'll be glad to do it if necessary.

FYI - Have been fighting to keep ICE at 165+ degrees and EV available during my commutes. I get engine up to temp but then use of EV drops temps below 165 degrees and I'm forced to use ICE to get back up to temp when I would otherwise use EV with neutral coast during some parts of my commute. Just as I learned to drive the car when I first bought it will be learning how to drive it in lower temps now (hopefully EBH helps get up to temp and stay at 165+ degrees in this effort).