View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chalupa102
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
Thanks for the pics Dan! Now for the bevy of questions that will follow. I numbered them so it's easier to respond (promise this isn't a test)!

1. What were some of the discussions at the meetup?
2. Any cool mods that you saw on the cars (other than the EV conversions)?
3. Did the person with the EV truck explain why he chose that vehicle to do it with?
4. Didn't see any Gen III Prius in any of your pics...were there any?
5. What were your impressions of the Gen II Insight?

Gotta love Hobbit and his dashboard!

Thanks!

Matt
Alright, here we go...lol

1. Definitely a lot about driving habits. The guys that had mods discussed them and the increases in f/e they are seeing with those mods. There were quite a few who haven't started modding yet, and they wanted to get some ideas. I learned a lot and am definitely looking forward to the next meet. Surprisingly i was able to give some tips to a few of the guys on my driving habits, which i wasn't expecting. Some were shocked about the MPG i was getting with a non-hybrid.

2. One of the Gen 1 Insights had a wheel powered by a seperate battery that would drop down on his command. It will move the car without needing the gas or electric motor to run. He can't go very fast with it, but it saves him a lot of fuel.

One of the Priuses had a computer screen device (can't remember the actual name of it) hooked up to the OBDII port that would tell u everything the car was doing. It even showed the binary-type codes that the ECU would read.

3. That's a good question that i should have asked, but didn't think about it.

4. Unfortunately no Gen 3 Prius showed up. I wanted to see one cuz i really like the look of them.

5. I've got mixed feeling with the Gen 2 Insight, but for the most part i like 'em. I like the design and how they are a 4 seater compared to a 2. I don't like how they did away with the wheel skirts and it seems like the Gen 2s don't get as good f/e as the Gen 1s. Right now i'm getting better f/e with my Corolla than some of the guys with Gen 2s are I actually like the way the Gen 1 looks with the wheel skirts. Overall, the Gen 2s are pretty nice cars, but i think if i get a hybrid, i would get a Prius.

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html