View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Gasoline Fumes
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Are you close to Binghamton? Gary's U Pull It has lawnmowers and fork lifts all the time that you could rob parts from.

The CVT pulleys, you can change the stall speed a couple of ways - You can either change the spring (it's a collar spring that's brazed together on the ends) or you can drill and re-weight the weights. I personally prefer using heavier weights than changing springs.

The key is to keep all the weights the same, or within a few grams. You disassemble, remove the weights, drill the bottoms of them about 1/2" deep x 1/2" diameter, and start filling them with either molten lead or something similar (Shot will work, as well, with tape over it for a short time, just to test). Make sure your holes are all in the same places on the weights, and keep them within a few grams of each other, for best results.

Obviously, a heavier set of weights = more centripetal force applied to the spring and better grip on the clutch's outer pulley.

So, yes, you can rebuild the cheap ones.
I'm about 2 hours North of Binghamton. I usually go to the Pick-n-Pull in Auburn or Trout's in Waterloo.

OK, weights over springs. Makes sense.