View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa102 View Post
Alright, here we go...lol

1. Surprisingly i was able to give some tips to a few of the guys on my driving habits, which i wasn't expecting. Some were shocked about the MPG i was getting with a non-hybrid.

2. One of the Priuses had a computer screen device (can't remember the actual name of it) hooked up to the OBDII port that would tell u everything the car was doing. It even showed the binary-type codes that the ECU would read.
On #1...I have found that the more people I meet the more I realize that guys really aren't "trying" to maxing out their mpg in terms of driving style. They all have a deep interest in getting high mpg but alot of them are more interested in "their car" than how to actually "drive their car." I see this alot at priuschat.com where 95% of the people on the site are amazed at what mpg's they are getting (45-50 mpg) and really don't see past that in terms of what they can do to get to 55/60 mpg. These high-mpg machines that are available to us sometimes blur the picture and make it too easy to get good mpg...when getting great mpg is the goal.

I think the real benefit of the meetups is getting together with like-minded people that have great ideas...some of which can help us get better at what we do. It's a different perspective when you actually see a mod in person or talk to someone that can "show" you have they drive their car for efficiency.

On #2...I would have loved to see this device...and I suspect it was either the elusive "MS1" I saw a few months ago developed by Yoshi (that I'm trying to get my hands on) or some sort of CAN-View that many Prius drivers employ in their cars.