View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
I have mixed feelings on dropping the tax deductions. On one hand it enables people to have an unsustainable (talking #of family member/finance sustainable) number of dependents. On the other it lets responsible folks keep a little more of their own money.

As far as subsidies I could agree. The flip side of that coin though is that what would have been paid in subsidy should be left out of the tax burden.

In the interest of full disclosure out here (bush AK) we have PCE, other wise known as Power Cost Equalization. It's money that is paid by the state to the local power companies on behalf of the rate payers to reduce the electric bills to something near what is payed in the more developed areas. To simply cut it off would mean that folks who rely on it would be quite literally in the dark. Which this time of the year is a fair bit of day. Without a state sales or income tax all I can really say is thanks Big Oil, we'll leave the light on for ya.
Isn't there still a land lease subsidy in AK for residents and dependents?

My Father used to live in AK, he got a check every so often just for being a resident of Eagle River, because of the oil pipeline.