View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Drive Stick
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
As previously mentioned, there is no benefit to lugging your engine for the sake of saving fuel. You will replace a $3,500 engine once you spin a bearing, or snap a connecting rod and burn up many times the amount of money replacing your engine, or vehicle.

Row through the gears at 60% throttle or so and you will see the best combination of acceleration, and gas mileage in my opinion. Skipping gears is ok if you feel guilty about shifting through all 5 speeds, but only if you are not dropping below 1,800 rpm or so in any upshift. (unless traveling downhill when you won't lug the engine.)

Some people have mentioned reaping excellent gas mileage from never going over 2,000 rpms but every vehicle is different. My V8 truck can handle shifting early, its got 8 cylinders to power me along effortlessly. My 4 cylinder car can not be shifted too early with out lugging, it all depends on the vehicle and engine, play it by ear and gas receipt.

you'll find that winning combo of fuel efficiency, and longevity of your engine.