View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
MechEngVT
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
Econoram:

Have you thought about adding fuel log info on your truck? I'm curious about how well you're doing with your mods as I've considered doing some very similar things to my truck but haven't made the time. If it looks like there's enough benefit it might incentivize me to make time.

I don't know if Dodge fixed or changed the A-pillar design on later model years but I've always noticed that at high speeds (70+ or even 65 near trucks or with crosswinds) air separates the door from the bulb seal at the top of the windshield because air shedding sideways off the windshield will get underneath the door and push outwards combining with the outward force of the pressure low along the front side windows. A lip seal similar to what you used as a bed fairing might help prevent this as long as it doesn't rub and cut on the bulb seal when opening the doors.

BTW the "Rumble Bee" air dam is part of a Mopar aftermarket body kit that was available since the 02's first went on sale. I think the air dam only fits on Sport package trucks though. I'd be willing to test fit one on my truck and test it out, but last I checked they were pretty expensive.

I noticed on your vehicle profile you're running an electric fan...would you mind telling me which model and where you got it? Have you noticed any gains from it?