View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
ericbecky
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Can you grid-charge the stock battery pack, too?
Unfortunately I have not built the electronics to directly grid charge the stock pack. (Although I have the plans that I got from Insight guru, Mike Dabrowski.) To charge up the stock pack, I first plug in the Enginer Pack. Then once it's full I turn the key to Accessory mode and let the Enginer pack fill up the stock pack. Then I go back and top off the Enginer pack again.

Quote:
Where are you keeping your spare tire?
I'm living on the edge; I don't bring the spare tire with me. If I really wanted to I could tether it down on the back hatch space.

Quote:
How much weight does it add to the car, and how does the Insight respond to that?
On Flickr I have pics of the components on my bathroom scale. The converter and battery charger weigh around 20 lbs. together. The batteries weigh about 52 lbs. total (26 lbs per set of 8 batteries). So a the entire system weights less than 75 lbs. I don't notice any difference.

Quote:
And I know this is a frequently asked, stupid question. How about EV mode? Unlike the Prius, the Insight's motor is coupled to the crankshaft, so the motor can't turn without the engine turning as well. But if you wire a toggle switch to the fuel pump, can you get the car to go without using any fuel?
In the current set up there isn't really a true EV mode. Basically if I'm using the electric motor the gas engine is always idling. I haven't taken time to confirm that there is a way to go with a fuel pump cut switch. Not sure if that would harm anything?
Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com