View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #420 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
wow, you obviously don't understand anything about physics or logic.
Oh, darn :-( Does that mean I'm going to have to return my BS in math & physics, and my MS in computer engineering?

Quote:
There are batteries in both parallel and series systems, to erroneously mix it in only for series is such a stupid mistake that a boston fern would have sufficient intelligence to avoid.
Whereas I'd think even yeast (thank you, Terry Pratchett) would have the sense to refer back to its previous (and quoted) post, and see that batteries were never mentioned. Your example was a bike with the chain & gears replaced with a motor/generator set. Which might have advantages in itself, if you could get a light enough set that was efficient. Infinite gear ratios (like diesel-electric locomotives), no more greasy chains, or missing shifts because the derailleurs are a bit off...

Quote:
you want to pedal moderately? change gears.
Guess you never worked at a place where you had to climb about 800 vertical feet of around 8-10% grade first thing in the morning. Even the lowest gear on my street bike didn't allow moderate pedalling. The mountain bike was a bit better, but it was still slow. Then coming down in the evening I'd have to brake from the 40 mph or so downhill run (coulda been more, but for near misses with deer & other wildlife) to make a left onto the public road. Sure would have been nice to be able to store all that energy in a battery, and use it on the climb the next day :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (10-29-2009)