View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2523 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ben, just heat the metal prongs and apply the solder. It will wick right through the holes. Don't worry.

On a side note, I am trying a charger sort of. I'm aiming for maybe 8 amps at whatever voltage. I just ordered a LEM 50, which is basically identical to the LEM 300. I'm going to wrap about 8-10 turns of wire through it, so that it will measure current in the range of 0amp to 10amp or so.

I soldered a full wave bridge rectifier to a piece of pcb, and then added a couple 270uF 400v Ripple Caps. I then soldered an electrical Plug thing to the rectifier, and plugged it in, and I got about 160v, which was approximately constant.

I'm just wondering how constant it stays under load. I was going to buy a few different power resistors and see if it got more ripply. I guess that it wouldn't at relatively low power. Then I was going to just hook up a populated control board, and a power section with a single pair of capacitors, a mosfet, and a freewheel diode. I ordered a 300v 160amp 19mOhm RdsOn mosfet, and a 600volt 80amp freewheel diode. I think the controller can act as a charger.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 10-31-2009 at 04:13 AM..