View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #201 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Busy day today. I tried my hand at DC welding. Well, actually more like my face. One cable gone, one connector permanently welded on, and 3 nice silver/black spots on my glasses. Exciting! I put two of the smaller batteries in my pack so I get to see if I can make it to school and back tomorrow. Oh, and I went 6 miles with my old pack with a good amount of juice left. If I can figure out how to make the potbox work correctly, I might actually take the car to Wal-Mart! It looks like the 0-5k and 0-10k pots won't work because the 300 degree rotation is more than the throttle cable can do, but Radio Shack doesn't have anything but a 0-50k left, so I guess I'll try that. Theoretically, I can make the 30 degrees from 0-5k work by just making the lever longer. We'll see. Wasn't too happy with what I was doing with all that today. At least I figured out that right now, my stock Geo TPS is only going up to about 1970 Ohms, so I can probably get a little more oomph if I can squeeze another couple thousand Ohms. I'm actually kind of shocked really. First off, the factory service manual for every year Geo all state that the TPS goes from 0-5k. Then, I went and checked 3 cars and they all showed about 200-2k Ohms. Second, I am surprised that the car runs so well on such a limited throttle! Third, I'm scared of what a true 0-5k will do! Oh, and I FINALLY put one of those Harbor Freight multimeters to my battery pack so I can at least see my voltage. Oh, and I also replaced the lightbulb with a 620 Ohm 10W resistor. Makes me sad. I liked the whole visual thing. Made the car look like a " Build 1001 electrical projects" kit though. I just can't stop thinking about if 1970 Ohms goes to 25 mph, then 5K can go.....