View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I was planning to do the grille block along with a belly pan, since the car would already be up in the air, but I had no time to prepare for the pan Once I got the car up, I did pay careful attention to how the bellypan will need to be made in the future (next spring, hopefully). I noticed two things:

1. The oem plastic pan under the engine hangs down quite low, in some place more than 5 cm lower than the screws the keep it on.

I always thought that this was to make room for the oil pan or some other low-hanging accessories, but after removing the pan I saw that there is nothing below the level of the pan's screws. This means I'll be able to make the new pan much flatter and "cleaner" aerodynamically.

2. The rear of the car is disgusting. Starting at the fuel tank, which droops down, it just gets worse. The suspension is way out there, behind the tank hangs the spare tire, with lots of nooks and crannies around it, and at the end is the bumper with a totally open front and bottom, acting like a parachute. I have no idea how to clean it all up. It would be much easier if I could cover the spare, but that's not really functional. Or maybe the airflow is already so turbulent by the time it gets to the back that it won't make any difference, and the easiest route would be to make a cover in front of the fuel tank, as in the 308?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear1.jpg
Views:	1741
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4668   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear2.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	4669  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread