View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Robert. in my VX 3rd gear was good for over 100 MPH, although I never came close to that speed.

If you want great mileage on your Insight at high speeds find a nice drafting source, and keep your braking distance between the source and yourself in the right lane, so you can react if you see a large chunk of debris.

My CVT gets about 85 at a steady 40 MPH, 70 at 55, and 65 at 62 MPH. I can get much higher if there is a drafting source, easily one time I got 80 at 62 for 25 miles.

Your manual should be able to easily beat those figures, but the area you live in has much more harsh winter weather than eastern Virginia. Definitely consider a block heater if that is practical, or a garage. Move the outside temp sensor near the radiator so it will not loose idle stop in cold weather.

Great save on the Insight, it is a great car to learn energy conservation with, and you might just get to your goals at high speed, if you take advantage of potential wind breaks to reduce your energy demand.

You definitely want to block off almost all of the lower grille opening if you haven't already.
regards
Mech