View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
chuckm
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
But if you look at the history of domestication, the first domestic animals - dogs, then horses - were probably aids to hunting. Then other animals seem to have been kept as much for milk & wool as for meat.
In other words, these were enhancements in resource availability and security over simple nomadic hunting-and-gathering.
Quote:
Even here & now, it wouldn't be impossible for someone with the knowledge, especially given the great number of quite edible things that we seldom if ever eat.
I don't disagree, but food availability also varies significantly by region. But would 2 hours of gathering provide for a diet with sufficient caloric and nutritional intake?

Where DOES this 2 hour figure come from anyway? If it is from Sahlins' Notes on the Original Affluent Society, you ought to know that the studies he relied on weren't exactly exhaustive, limited in both scope and duration.

So, anyway, I still think Hansen's figure of 350ppm is not well grounded in scientific fact. I also think his citing 280ppm as "normal" is lacking in context. Don't get me wrong, though; I do believe that we have a moral responsibility to develop and implement clean, efficient and cheap energy sources. But I think that the climate alarmism that Hansen is promoting is ultimately destructive to the cause.