View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
1.5Ldave
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
More power and better MPG

Well its been a long time since I made a post on here, so I figured I would update about my little hatch.

I got her about a year ago, bone stock and was getting about 31-32 mpg. I found this site and started honing my driving skills, topped out at an average of 40-41 mpg. Now comes the time for modding.

Late august to early september, about to start modding, auto trans blows up. Replaced it with one off craigslist (found an hf trans 3 weeks later next time!)

Heres the mods I did to it:
mpfi swap - si intake manifold, tb, etc, gives me 4 injectors instead of 2
d16a6 cam - same year SI cam, more lift and duration
cam gear - set to 5 degrees advance

later this week im picking up a stock 4-2-1 header from a d16z6, the 92-95 civic si, to replace the junk 4-1 cast iron pos thats on there now

Throttle response is a hundred times improved, acceleration is greatly improved, all around the car is much more fun to drive.

Also, as a bonus, Im averaging 44-45 mpg, with one anomaly at 49! All from an automatic!

In the future I plan to swap the 5th gear from the hf trans into a dx trans, for good cruising rpm and decent acceleration. Screw that low gearing in every gear

next mods:
lower the rear end of the hatch 1.5-2" to give the roof a better slope
raise compression to 11-11.5:1 by decking the head and changing head gasket
anti-reversion steps on intake plenum at the tb, intake side of head and on header
mild port of intake, head and header mainly to clean up casting lines
at some point im going to try a stock diameter mandrel bent exhaust with a straight thru muffler and 2 resonators with no cat

Goal is 50-55 average mpg with 60+ mostly highway, while retaining a fairly "normal" appearance

Before you jump on me for not running a cat, I dont believe in global warming, its a hoax to get us to pay more money to do the same things we could before except they were free. Ill keep my 2 strokes and dirty lawnmower and run my car however I feel like running it. No matter what we do, the earth always has us 1 upped, volcanoes for example.

Volcanoes spew out as much pollution as all the cars that have ever been put on Earth combined. Besides particulate (ash and other particles), volcanoes can release enormous quantities of gases, including the following pollutants:
H2O water vapor
CO2 carbon dioxide
SO2 sulfur dioxide
H2S hydrogen sulfide
CO carbon monoxide
HCl hydrogen chloride
HF hydrogen flouride

Even non-explosive basaltic volcanoes (Hawaii, Iceland) can release damaging quantities of pollutants in the form of "vogā", or volcanic smog. The Hawaii volcano observatory has recently issued warnings for sulfur dioxide emissions and restricted access to areas around Kilauea. The 1783 Icelandic basalt eruption resulted in emission of over 100 tons of SO2 in less than 8 months- killing humans, livestock and damaging crops in both Iceland and Europe. Gas emissions during the eruption of the Siberian traps may have caused the great Permian extinction 250 million years ago. Volcanic SO2 emissions can range up to 10 million tonnes per day.